Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Challenge

So, I was challenged a while ago by someone that I never would have thought to challenge me. By challenged I don't mean some crazy dual though that would be extremely nifty! But no not a challenge at all. This person challenged my thoughts and beliefs. Which I love. Not everyday some makes you stop and think about things. Well, besides Charles. Charles is a belief and character builder all in one. That is the same with the challenge I got. Though the challenge came a while ago almost a month now. It has been the thought at the back of my head since. With the ever so long trips to and from work I've done a lot of thinking on this.

The challege is one to do with the past. Things that have been done in the past can we do good things now to make up for the past. Will what we do now have any effect on the past what so ever. His thought was that he was doing things now because of his past to make good on all the things that he didn't do good in his past. To me when I first heard this thought that this is a crazy idea where would someone think up this sort of thing. After think about this for a while the concept makes a little more sense. I can now understand better the idea behind it. Though me being who I am and I little bit more of a determinist then indeterminist. I think that God of course has some thing to do with our past whether we had times in which we don't want God to be there (Jen's Lush days...ask if you really want to know). Cause God is there no matter what. To me the path of my past that got me here right now is one that I know that I wouldn't want to change. IF the broken path filled with mistakes, wrong turns and trips into the wilderness is the way that I was suppose to get here then that is fine with me. God knows best and I wouldn't want to do any good to change the past. Cause the past has made who I am now and wear I am. I can do good BECAUSE of my past but not to cover it over or make up for it. Those choices are ones that I made and I am going to be proud of them!

Now to be corny and quote a country song.....

"God Bless the broken road that lead me straight to you!"

2 comments:

Faye said...

Hey, hey, hey. Look at that, both of writing on the same day as if we were identical twins! Anyways, here is my theory on the topic. I agree with you that no amount of current acts can somehow atone for poor past ones. My reasoning is, the expectation is not that you will live a neutral life, but a good, full one. Therefore, everytime you choose to do something evil, you create a deficit in your life. Acts of further heroism, courage, generosity, etc will not pay back your debt because those are the things you were supposed to be doing in the first place. For all your acts of righteousness are as dirty rags... Hense why we need Christ. I disagree with your theory in that I don't think God intended for anyone to sin. I think God's an opportunist and he simply chooses to use our sin for good anyway just to spite Satan (and because he loves us). Anyways, as always, I'm proud of you for writing your heart/mind/soul out for others. Tootles.

Faye said...

Hello, ello, ello. As always, I'm proud of you for writing out your thoughts and heart.
I agree with you that current behaviour probably doesn't make up for any past mistakes. As I see it, the expectation is not that we will neutral lives, but good and full lives. Therefore, whenever you do something evil, it creates a deficit in your life. Acts of heroism, generosity, mercy, etc. do not negate this debt b/c those are the things you should have been doing in the first place. For all your acts of righteousness are as dirty rags...hence why we all need Christ. I disagree about not wanting to change anything from one's past b/c it was God-ordained. I don't think God ever planned for anyone to mess up. He just gave us the freedom to do so, and is merciful enough that he'll use our sins for good. Take that, with a bat Satan.